Recommendations from the European Breast Cancer Guidelines
Should annual vs. biennial mammography screening be used for early detection of breast cancer in women aged 70 to 74?
- ✓ Strong recommendation against the intervention
- Conditional recommendation against the intervention
- Conditional recommendation for either the intervention or the comparison
- Conditional recommendation for the intervention
- Strong recommendation for the intervention
A recommendation can be strong or conditional.
When a recommendation is strong, most women will want to follow it. When a recommendation is conditional, the majority of women want to follow it but may need more discussion with their healthcare professional first.
The strong recommendation against annual screening was agreed by the GDG by consensus.
The GDG agreed that the large costs of annual screening is what makes this recommendation strong, despite the very low certainty in the evidence.