Recommendations from European Breast Guidelines
Should triennial vs. biennial mammography screening be used for early detection of breast cancer in women aged 50 to 69?
- Strong recommendation against the intervention
- ✓ Conditional recommendation against the intervention
- Conditional recommendation for either the intervention or the comparison
- Conditional recommendation for the intervention
- Strong recommendation for the intervention
A recommendation can be strong or conditional.
When a recommendation is strong, most women will want to follow it. When a recommendation is conditional, the majority of women want to follow it but may need more discussion with their healthcare professional first.
Agreement within the GDG could not be reached, so voting among the members without CoI took place and resulted in the following: 12 members voted for a "Conditional recommendation against the intervention", 7 members voted for a "Conditional recommendation for either the intervention or the comparison"
The GDG felt that the health effects probably favour biennial screening over triennial screening. There were moderate savings in doing triennial screening, however, neither was favoured with regards to cost effectiveness, but triennial screening was considered to be feasible.