Recommendations from European Breast Guidelines
Should annual vs. triennial mammography screening be used for early detection of breast cancer in women aged 50 to 69?
- ✓ Strong recommendation against the intervention
- Conditional recommendation against the intervention
- Conditional recommendation for either the intervention or the comparison
- Conditional recommendation for the intervention
- Strong recommendation for the intervention
A recommendation can be strong or conditional.
When a recommendation is strong, most women will want to follow it. When a recommendation is conditional, the majority of women want to follow it but may need more discussion with their healthcare professional first.
As there was not agreement within the GDG for the strength of this recommendation, voting among members took place, the results of which were: 14 members voted for ‘strong recommendation against the intervention’, three members voted for ‘conditional recommendation against the intervention’; and two members abstained
The recommendation was strong because the GDG agreed that there is a net harm (small benefits and moderate undesirable effects), large costs and annual screening is probably not feasible to implement.