Recommendations from European Breast Guidelines
Should annual vs. biennial mammography screening be used for early detection of breast cancer in women aged 45 to 49?
- Strong recommendation against the intervention
- ✓ Conditional recommendation against the intervention
- Conditional recommendation for either the intervention or the comparison
- Conditional recommendation for the intervention
- Strong recommendation for the intervention
A recommendation can be strong or conditional.
When a recommendation is strong, most women will want to follow it. When a recommendation is conditional, the majority of women want to follow it but may need more discussion with their healthcare professional first.
The conditional recommendation against annual screening was the result of the health effects that probably favour biennial screening, although the certainty of the evidence was very low.