Concept for a Digital Mammography Training (DMT)
Background for the training concept
The main aim of the training concept is to ensure that radiologists and radiographers working with digital breast cancer screening technologies receive adequate training levels both before and during their practice in screening, thus providing high quality of care with high patient satisfaction.
To achieve this aim, a Training Template for Digital Breast Cancer Screening (the ECIBC training template) is being developed. It includes a list of minimum training requirements outlining the essential training content to be included in both the postgraduate curriculum and the CME/CPD activities of indicated professionals. Only the professionals receiving at least the trainings required will be recognised to work in breast cancer screening programmes complying with the European Breast QA Scheme. This template will be supported by an e-learning platform.
The application of the template is encouraged also outside the formal European Breast QA scheme accreditation/certification process.
Development process for the template
To ensure an ECIBC training template supported with best available evidence and implementable across countries' settings and legal frameworks, ECIBC is applying several research approaches. These contribute in building an evidence-base and gathering information on the existing templates and legislations in place. The development process stays under the coordination and responsibility of the JRC and involves working groups and stakeholders.
- A systematic review of the evidence of the effects of training of professionals (radiologists and radiographers-readers) in breast cancer screening programmes was launched by the ECIBC within the development of the European Guidelines for Breast Cancer Screening and Diagnosis (the European Breast Guidelines).
- A systematic search was conducted specifically for the need of developing a ECIBC training template. In order to identify the existing templates or guidelines containing minimum training requirements.
- A survey was launched to receive information on the content of the trainings applied in countries (and not publicly available) and relevant legislation in place (to ensure that the corresponding requirement of the European Breast QA scheme should not conflict with the legislation relevant for the breast cancer screening service seeking the certification).
Defining the requirements
In breast cancer screening and diagnosis, there are cases where a task is performed by different professionals in different countries. In addition, the terminology used for naming the professionals varies across Europe, for this reason the template focusses on the skills needed to perform each specific task.
This approach allows the template to be applicable in all settings.
The template lists the essential skills and the corresponding training requirements for the achievement of those skills.
- Defining the essential skills: The essential skills that professionals must possess are listed. The skills are grouped into three categories: technical skills, communication skills and safety skills.
- Defining the trainings required to achieve each essential skill:
The requirements are extracted from the gathered templates.
The requirements are grouped according to the essential skills they are addressing to.
One requirement for each training topic is chosen to be included in the template.
As last step, a call for feedback is foreseen, including ECIBC National Contacts, professional societies, etc. regarding the proposed list of requirements in the template, in order to ensure that none of them contradict any legislation of European countries.